Friday 4 April 2014

Responding to @jheckbert

Please appreciate that I don't follow these people so I am sure you can understand why I have not commented prior to you bringing this to my attention. 

And frankly I don't actually know what was said because it must have been removed.  I can only imagine the worst.  At this point, lets agree to call them alleged comments (because I don't know what was said or who said them).

I had the unfortunate opportunity to write on similar matters on a number of occasions.  I invite you to read these posts so you can get understand my POV -
http://www.nwkttownhall.blogspot.ca/2012/08/tom-vegh-you-must-be-so-damn-proud.html
http://www.nwkttownhall.blogspot.ca/2012/08/these-are-your-community-leaders.html
http://www.nwkttownhall.blogspot.ca/2012/08/this-churns-my-stomach-are-there-no.html

After reading the above posts, you will be disappointed to discover that almost all of the political elite in Newmarket refused to acknowledge this dark event.   

And upon reading these prior posts, you will also note that even the Era (although aware of the use of the C-word), decided not to report about it, (although the story was covered by the Toronto media).   The Era has a disturbingly poor track record for not reporting on stories related to diversity, human rights, and equality.  If you need further proof, the Era did not make an issue about racist graffiti in Newmarket either until the Toronto media made it national news.  I would love to be a fly on the wall of the Era some days when they are determining what is "newsworthy" or not.  I am not implying that the paper is racist, but I think there is clear evidence that some of their upper management wear blinders on the blight of intolerance.

You attempt to link Councillor Di Muccio with these comments but do you even know if she is aware of them?  Before you debase the issue of intolerance by making such a crude attempt to politicize it, you should first carefully read her Bio -   http://maddiedimuccio.webs.com/aboutme.htm
and listen to her words - http://www.nwkttownhall.blogspot.ca/2012/01/sounds-like-mayor.html
and take notice that she is a member of Newmarket's Inclusivity Advisory Committee.  I am strongly opposed to anyone who tries to score cheap political points especially when it detracts from the seriousness of the allegations.

Although it isn't my place to be the one to defend her, I think you are way off base in your allegation.  Based on her track record, it would be a huge stretch to believe that she wouldn't condemn intolerance.  You don't have any evidence to make that assertion. 

But to put your mind at ease, why don't you ask her directly?

And therein lies the rub.  You, (and others), are using this unfortunate allegation as an excuse to attack a Councillor who wasn't involved and very likely unaware of what has transpired.  So I have to ask:  Who are you to be so self-righteous? 

And again, Councillor Di Muccio faces yet another far more severe attack by way of social media than anything ever faced by Mayor Van Bynen.  Yet it is him (not her) that running off and mewing about it in the newspaper.  I have called him a wimp before because he acts like one whenever his feelings are hurt.  Mayor Van Bynen's latest column was nothing more than a pathetic cry for attention.  He could have saved some ink by simply writing, "Woe is me."

If Tony Van Bynen is so strongly opposed to the ugliness of social media, then he needs to explain why was he so conspicuously silent when the C-word was being leveled at one of his colleagues?  I say we already know the answer: it is because he is a hypocrite.   

I acknowledge the ugly on social media and I have written about the ugly too.  But I also believe that social media (my blog included) is an effective means to keep Newmarket residents informed about their government and exposing the charlatans for what they are.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting response. I'm saddened you feel my comments were an attack on Ms. DiMuccio; that was not my intention.

    I'll give you that you have written about similar situations in the past, but while you're quick to link Tom Vegh to his teenaged son's comments, you are not as prepared to link Maddie DiMuccio - this aspiring councilor's self proclaimed mentor, role model and friend - to these comments. Maybe it's me, but that seems a little one sided.

    I'm not trying to score 'political points.' I have no need for such trivialities, just pointing out the desire of this aspiring councilor to just like her mentor and role model.

    I have provided a link to the offensive comment - http://t.co/lifL8Kni8G. Perhaps there is enough information here for you to prepare a response. It doesn't seem to have taken much more than that as per the entries referenced above.

    Be that as it may, I'm confident Ms. DiMuccio is prepared to condemn any comment that is derogatory in any way toward any group - large or small. Her track record speaks to that; in fact, her actions back her up and she should be proud of being so proactive in stamping out bigotry of any type. Her quick and decisive actions have prevented people with intolerant attitudes from spreading their hatred across York Region, and she should be proud of that activity. Perhaps the aspiring councilor could learn the lessons being demonstrated more fully by paying better attention to Ms. DiMuccio?

    I recognize people make mistakes, say things in haste that they later regret, teenaged boys blow up in defense of their parents - who hasn't felt the same way? I appreciate people are emotional first, rational second.

    It's not my place to condemn them - I just ask those prepared to condemn others for similar comments to be equal in their treatment.

    ReplyDelete