Friday 27 September 2013

Disappear into the ethernet?

I thought my work was done here. 

I thought I could just disappear into the ethernet. 

The reason for writing this blog was very personal to me.  Before I began writing this blog, the news being reported in the Era was rather milque toast at best.  The Era was a ready resource if you wanted to read about some child getting good marks in school, or who attended the latest event at the Senior Centre, but it wasn't the place to find actual news about our local government. 

In fact, Toronto papers, like the Toronto Star did a much better job of telling people like me what was going on in Newmarket than our own local Era. 

And the Era suffered for it some cases.  In Aurora, after a flurry of blogging activity surfaced, a second newspaper, The Auroran, began publishing and diverted significant advertising dollars

This past month, I noticed a real difference in the Era around the matter of the soccer facility.  The reporter did a very good job at making details known publicly that others were trying to hush up. 

When the facts were known, the public was able to make up their own minds. 

A week later, what was once optimism about the changes at the Era have devolved to pessimism. 

This jaded feeling comes from the reporting of the recent dispute between the Mayor and Ward 6 (although reported as Ward 7) councillor Maddie Di Muccio. 

Is the Mayor a misogynist?  I've watched my share of council meeting videos and the man is certainly a bully.  Not only to the Ward 6 councillor but also to members of the public who come before council to make a statement.  I don't think there are too many who speak in front of council that don't walk away from the experience thinking, "Geez louise, that mayor is an a$$hole". 

But whether he is a misogynist or not will have to be an argument for another day. 

Today's debate is whether the newspaper reported the facts fairly. 

Here are some items that I think were missed in the story:

1) The Era reported to have been in receipt of an e-mail from the councillor and quoted her as demanding an apology.  Fortunately the Councillor made that same e-mail public earlier on her web page.  Here is a quote from Maddie Di Muccio's e-mail that should also have been included in the Era article:

I refer you to the August 28, 2013 Community Services – Recreation and Culture, Closed Session Report #2016-36 (page 6 of 7, item x). This item will verify what I stated in council chambers today concerning the amount of staff time spent on meetings, research and reports with regards to the Newmarket Soccer Club loan.

Without knowing what is in this report, (because it isn't posted on line for some reason), it is extremely relevant because it shows that the councillor was reasonable to reject the mayor's ultimatum. 

2) The word "ultimatum" was removed from the revised copy of the Era's article.  I believe that the earlier version said that the mayor required the councillor to either retract or leave.  Is it reasonable for the mayor to ask the councillor to "retract" something that she knows to be true? 

If she can't retract what she knows to be a fact, then in my eyes, what option did he give her except to leave? 

3) The story was published with such sensationalistic language that leaves the public with the impression that there was a "hissy fit" and "screaming" involved (as per comments posted by -- wait for it -- all male commentators on the Era page).  I've watched a lot of video's like I said.  I have never seen Maddie Di Muccio cry, scream, or act in any way that could be seen as un-parliamentary.  (I would submit that Councillor Di Muccio did not call the mayor a misogynist until after he forced her from her seat.  That name-calling doesn't count as unparliamentary because of timing).   

But if you want to see a councillor have a hissy fit, watch the council meeting from last week.  In it, you will see petulence on display as Tom Hempen has a fit.  That didn't make the papers. 

Via her twitter feed, Maddie Di Muccio has also brought attention to a May 2012 meeting where Councillor Jane Twinney left in tears. 

I can't recall the the date but I'm pretty sure I've seen Councillor Emanuel weeping and then leave his seat when he was speaking to his DUI conviction. 

I also believe that Councillor Sponga has left his seat previously too. 

These occurrences never make it into the Era but Councillor Di Muccio being asked to leave does?

Which brings me to my final point.  The reason the Era gives the old boys club such an easy time is because it is vested in the last few remaining old families in Newmarket.  I grew up here and went to school here and then decided to stay, open a business on Davis, and raise my family here.  I've never been made to feel welcome with these families.  I have never been included. 

I feel more at home with the families that have recently moved to town.  People who want to see Newmarket "mature" and aren't nostalgic for balloon festivals, and dances at the old town hall. 

We are disturbed by decisions like the Soccer Club bail out because we wonder why that same commitment wasn't made to take over the Glenway club house when it was offered to us.  At the time, Councillor Emanuel told us that the town of Newmarket didn't want to assume the cost of running the tennis courts, fitness centre and meeting rooms.  We feel lied to. 

The reason people like me, and others, have gravitated towards Councillor Di Muccio is because she is the only one on Council who won't turn her back to the people who just arrived in Town.  She speaks up for businesses that have been neglected along Davis Drive.  She wants to keep the size and cost of government low. 

It seems that the new Era reporter has been co-opted into the "old ways" of doing things.  Telling only half the story and ignoring the details when it suits the old boys. 

While I thought I could simply go away, I guess my work here isn't done after all. 

Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment