Saturday 18 January 2014

Snipers, Moral Cowards, and Sacred Cows

I have to admit that I get a sense of self-satisfaction from getting under the skin of certain people who view themselves as sacred cows. 

When MPP Frank Klees launched a media campaign against my blog, (in print, e-mail and social media), calling me a "Sniper", I knew that what I was writing found its mark.  I hit a bulls-eye with my comments and Klees felt the barbs in my words. So he lashed out in dramatic fashion.

When the Era writes editorials and columns about the so-called "moral cowardice" behind my anonymity I have all the confirmation that I need to prove that the issues I write about are finding an audience. 

A business like the Era wouldn't waste its ink if I wasn't competing with it for readership. 

I have substantial readership numbers because I call things like I see them.  Nobody is given a free pass in my blog, (unlike at the Era which all too often turns a blind eye).

I don't call people "snipers" or "moral cowards" but whenever I see hypocrisy or double standard I will point it out as rigorously as any political commentator worth his/her salt would. 

And here is a recent example for the Era to consider. 

In her Thursday column, York Region Editor, Debora Kelly chastised my blog (without naming it) for being critical of Mayor Van Bynen's disappearing act during the recent ice storm and subsequent municipal services meltdown. 

The fact is that the very man we elected to see us through such an emergency was no where to be seen for approximately 2-weeks.  And based on feedback that I have received, I am not alone in my expectations that the mayor should have and could have done more for residents. 

Just for giggles why doesn't Debora Kelly compare the twitter feed of Aurora Mayor Geoff Dawe with Newmarket Mayor Tony Van Bynen for the two-weeks in question, (from December 22 until January 4).  The comparison will be a lesson in leadership during a crisis.

The Era is owned by York Region Media Group, which in turn is owned by Torstar Corp.  The flagship paper within Torstar is of course the Toronto Star.  On December 23rd, the Toronto Star was frothing at the mouth with front page stories concerning Toronto Mayor Rob Ford being MIA for three hours on the morning of December 22nd. 

The Toronto Mayor was unaccounted for 3 hours and its front page news.

Newmarket Mayor Tony Van Bynen goes missing for two-weeks and the Era doesn't consider it newsworthy enough to ask him where he is? 

Instead we get drivel about neighbours helping neighbours etc. 

Don't we pay amongst the highest taxes in York Region to maintain government services like snow removal?  What's the point to these high taxes if we can't rely on our Mayor to show up whenever there is an emergency? 

The bottom line is, I don't accept bad weather as a justification for Newmarket Mayor Tony Van Bynen's two-week absence during the aftermath of the ice storm. 

And neither should the Era. 

As I have already promised multiple times over, I'll stop blogging when the Era commits to doing its job.  The Era needs to put away the pom poms for the current administration and start holding Mayor Van Bynen and his allies accountable for doing their job.  And start by demanding that the Mayor account for his whereabouts during the ice storm.

Tony Van Bynen disappeared for two weeks at a time when this town needed leadership because he was secure in the knowledge that the Era wouldn't criticise him for his absence. 

Thank goodness there are blogs like mine that keep residents informed of what a crappy job Tony Van Bynen is doing as our mayor.  Residents have a right to be informed about their local government but the cheerleaders at the Era are failing to provide the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment